Wednesday, May 14, 2014

There's no age restriction....

Hey, 20 somethings and 30 somethings... I have some advice for you...

You are not immortal, and cancer happens in your 20s and 30s, as much as in your 40s and 50s.

--

I was about 27 or 28 when my cancer could have been detected...

It wasn't ACTUALLY detected until I was 33, in late stage 2... and it wasn't thought to be too serious.

When it was removed 18 months later, it had progressed to stage 4, even though I was under the care of excellent doctors. When it was removed, I was at most, three months from dying, possibly as little as a few weeks.

--

My brother died a few months before he was 32. His cancer wasn't discovered until it was stage 3, when he was 29...

It could likely have been detected when he was 25 or 26, but by the time it actually WAS detected, It had progressed to the point where he had decided that living with the treatment was worse than dying from the disease.

He died of a painkiller overdose, while recovering from an infection caused by his cancer.

He was 31...

31...

--

My friend David Smyth, Heck, just died because they didn't find his cancer until it was stage 4.

Had they looked for it properly.... had anyone known... It was probably detectable some time before it was actually discovered.

By the time anyone figured out it was cancer, it was stage 4.

Heck died 4 days ago, at age 31.

--

Stop thinking that cancer is just something that happens when you're old... or you might not live to see "old".